So yesterday was just too hot! Ryan is adamant that he predicted (several times) the September heat wave back at the beginning of summer, personally I think he heard it on the radio and pointed it out to me once in passing.
When the weather is this hot it calls for one thing and one thing only…ICE CREAM!
However if like me your trying to limit treats to the weekend, its easy to feel left out. Fear not and behold the wonder that is NICE CREAM! Or otherwise know as Banana Ice cream.
Nice cream has been knocking around the Vegan/dairy free community for quite some time. I first came across it a couple of years ago, initially I wasn’t convinced. I’m not a massive fan of Banana’s and it took a couple of attempts to find a recipe which really hit the spot. I then spent the rest of the summer purchasing more bananas than Twycross Zoo , for those who are not familiar its home to the largest collection of monkeys and apes in the Western World.
I’m pretty sure there are thousands of different Nice Cream recipes out there, so what makes my Chunky Monkey Peanut Butter Nice Cream so special? Well obviously its free from gluten and dairy but its also free from refined sugars! My all time favourite ice cream has to be Ben and Jerry’s Peanut Butter ice cream! I’m not going to claim my recipe is as good, but if you’ve got the craving for something sweet but don’t want the calories hanging over your head, it certainly does the trick!
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tsp of peanut butter (if like me your not a fan of the taste of banana's it wouldn't hurt to add an extra tsp
- 1 tsp of natural sweetener, optional (I like to use raw honey or agave nectar)
- 1 tsp of chopped almonds, plus additional for topping
- 1 tsp of cacao nibs, plus additional for topping
- Chop your banana into coin sized pieces, place in a freezer bag and pop in the freezer
- Once your banana is frozen, blitz until smooth in a food processor
- Once smooth add your peanut butter and blitz to combine
- Remove mixture from food processor, add chopped almonds and cacao nibs
- If you prefer a firmer consistency, tip your nice cream into a container and place back in the freezer.
- Serve with additional almonds and cacao nibs plus a generous squeeze of raw honey!